Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Compliments.


When you point something out, it doesn’t magically come into existence, right? It was already there and you saw it and then, probably annoyingly, pointed it out. If I walk into a room and point at a lamp while exclaiming "LAMP", about half of the people in the room would want to punch me in the face. If I walk into a room and point at someone's face while exclaiming "Nice face," I am given a title as a nice person. Why are compliments seen as like comments from God when it is the same thing? If someone points out a nice quality, then it was already there but you are too insecure to see it. 
Fix your own perspective to see your own beauty and worth because no one else is going to bring it out in you until you do.
My main problem with compliments rests in that we are taught that our worth comes from superficial things like our appearance, grades, acquaintances, or family. Then the compliments start. People tell others good job or nice hair because they think it is a good thing to do or they really do think you have a nice face. Our reaction is supposed to be one of gratitude because thank you for pointing out that I have something to be proud of. Who knew that our looks or grades were something to be proud of? What does a nice face or an A plus change about our worth? I mean really think about that. What does a gorgeous body or a fantastic score on a test change about who we are? Am I a better person for looking like Lindsey Wixson, my favorite model? How about if I get valedictorian in high school? Yet some people's whole days change because one person had the amazing aptitude to point out something so trivial was good. I will say it again: Fix your own perspective to see your own beauty and worth because no one else is going to bring it out in you until you do. Until you are willing to look at yourself and point out how freaking fabulous you are, how can you give other people so much weight when it comes to how you feel about yourself. Self esteem, not everyone else's opinion of me.
When someone says something to me that I do not agree with, I am allowed to say so. If someone tells me I look nice when I think I do not, if I argue, I am labeled as an attention whore or rude.Why are observations given such a huge weight in our society? 
It might seem like I am anti compliment, which honestly to a point I am, but I do think that giving someone a compliment here and there is a nice thing to do. Sometimes it's fantastic to know that we really did do a good job, but never doing it for yourself is where the problem rests. How many times have we been taught that other people's opinions of us do not change anything? When people are mean, our parents tell us that it doesn't matter what they think, right? Why does it matter when they say nice things? 
Hint: it doesn't.
You alone have the power to define who you are. Not someone who bullies you and not someone who is nice to you, but you alone. 
So, and I repeat, fix your own perspective so you can see your own worth because no one else has the right or power to do it for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment